Checking Historical Temperature with Google Sheets

I was back in Minnesota for the summer this year. The temperature really started to rise and I wondered if this was an anomaly, or if it was within the range of normal for July. 

Then I wondered if temperatures were increasing.

First I needed to get the data. A Google search for "Minnesota annual high temperature" led me to a site with the data I needed. <Example needed>

Here I could use the IMPORTHTML function to pull the data to the sheet.

There were actually two tables, so I needed to change the formula from 1 to 2. <Example needed>




After importing the data, I copied it and pasted the values only. Then I could change the dates to year only (file>format>number), and moved the date column so it was to the left.




From here, I was able to create a table. (file>insert>chart)

Then, I thought I wanted the annual minimum temperature, so I repeated the process.








My findings


The high temperature for the years has somewhat remained stable, while the low temperature is increasing. 

This isn't enough data to determine if temperatures are actually increasing, I'd need the complete daily temperature data for that ... it sounds like a cool project though!

Copy the file

Comments