Import Data from Another Workbook

To be honest, I don't know the proper terminology. But, after spending about 4 hours working on this formula, I got it working.

The problem I was trying to solve was that we had a spreadsheet that was being updated regularly with data, and we wanted to feed that data into a different spreadsheet. 

I knew that. I could simply do this with IMPORTRANGE, which can get the data for each cell, but then I would have to create a formula for each entry. I wanted a single formula that matched the student name to the data.

I knew from past projects that the INDEX and MATCH combination was probably something that I wanted to use. So I started playing around with it. 


Student Namestudent IDgendergrad yearcurrent gradeDOBRTIreading level


The particular data I wanted was the reading data. 

In the end, ChatGPT helped me figure out that the formula would be something like the following.


=VLOOKUP(A7, IMPORTRANGE("URL", "SHEET!RANGE"), dataCOLUMN, FALSE)

My next step is to make the formula a little more automatic by messing around with the data column part of the formula.

... and another version

=QUERY('Sheet 1'!A:O, "SELECT * WHERE B = 'COLUMN NAME'", 1)

Comments